SATURDAY DEMONSTRATIONS 2020
Artist Demonstrations; 2-30pm – 4-30pm on the third Saturday of each month
Your first ‘taster’ visit is free
If you are not a member and wish to be please go to the 'Join us now' link at the bottom of this page. The Artist Demonstrations are held at The Pavilion, Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham GL51 6PN. There is disabled access and parking on site. For direction see below.
Avoiding social contact – Government Announcement
We have now decided to cancel the next demonstration on 21st March due to the governments information issued on 16/03/2020 – see below
The UK government’s aim is to delay the spread of the disease and reduce the epidemic’s peak (when the number of cases is highest).
On 16 March, Prime Minster Boris Johnson announced significant new measures to tackle the outbreak.
- Anyone with a fever or persistent cough should stay at home for 14 days. This measure also extends to anyone who lives with someone displaying coronavirus symptoms. People who have to isolate themselves should ask others for help to deal with everyday necessities.
- Everyone has been asked to stop non-essential contact with others. This is particularly important for those aged over 70, people with underlying health conditions and pregnant women.
- People should work from home where they can and should avoid places like pubs, clubs and theatres. This applies especially to those in London which is said to be “a few weeks ahead” of the rest of the UK in the spread of the virus.
- People should stop all unnecessary travelling.
- By the weekend, those with the most serious health conditions should be largely shielded from social contact for 12 weeks.
January 18th 2020 – Andy Watt
Andy Watt is a local artist who has taught Art for many years and has now become a full time Artist.
He mainly paints wonderful, colourful abstract landscapes in oils, and will talk about his inspirations and demonstrate how, through the process of mark-making, drawing and the use of mixed-media, his work organically develops.
February 15th 2020 – Sheila Bryant
Sheila is no stranger to the Club and we are delighted that she has agreed to return and demonstrate to us ‘A Portrait in charcoal and rub-out technique’.
March 21st 2020 – Tracy-Jane Rees – CANCELLED
Tracy-Jane, who is a member of our Club, has agreed to demonstrate a relatively new product, Brusho, which is a one-of-a-kind water-based paint medium. It’s super-highly-pigmented, unpredictable and it’s bags of fun to paint with!
If you paint with watercolours or if you’re new to art and you want a very forgiving method of painting loose, expressive artwork, then Brusho could be right up your street.
April 18th 2020 – Caroline Green – TBC
Caroline Green is an Artist, illustrator and author who lives and has a wonderful gallery in Ledbury. She uses a variety of media and likes to capture colour, light and movement within a variety of subjects.
Caroline will demonstrate a pastel and pen animal painting – capturing their movement and character which she finds particularly engaging. Her work uses expression and colour to draw out the particular mood of the subject.
May 16th 2020 – Conrad Clarke
Conrad Clarke is a young artist who lives and works in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire after relocating from London in 2012.
With the landscape as his main subject of reference, he works to convey the beauty and complexities of it using texture, pattern, and narrative elements throughout his work.
June 20th 2020 – Geoff Tristram
Geoff Tristram has been a highly successful professional artist and illustrator for well over 35 years, and also a top flight cartoonist. His artwork has been seen on fine art prints, collector’s plates, magazines, postage stamps, jigsaw puzzles, greetings cards, press advertisements, billboards and packaging. His talks are lively and entertaining and not to be missed!
July and August we break for the summer and return in September
More detailed reviews on past demonstrations are available for members in the members section of the website.
Buses for The Pavilion are as follows
- 97 or 98 from outside Beards in The Promenade every half hour on the hour and half hour. The stop is near Robert Burns Avenue
- OR the Cheltenham-Gloucester-Cheltenham bus 94 leaving every ten minutes from The Promenade, Cheltenham. The stop is Arle Court.
- On return catch the bus at about quarter past or quarter to the hour.